Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 1995 22:58:21 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crypt code summary(2).

> <<On Sun, 25 Jun 1995 22:03:21 +0200, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za> said:
>
> > You guys want to hear something frightening? Eric Young (the `eay' in
> > SSLeay) has a friend who will make SATAN look stupid. He has, and is
> > going to release code that will snoop passwords out of new telnet and
> > FTP sessions.
>
> Lots of people have such programs.  There are probably several dozen
> running on various insecure machines throughout MITnet right now.  The
> usual answer is Kerberized rlogin/telnet or S/Key; in our group we use
> both (and I've been tasked to find or create a working S/Key
> implementation for our Alphas under four different versions of OSF/1).

Ok - these have not been released on comp.sources.misc. This piece of
code I mentioned will be. Once every cracker in the world has it
who knows what else will happen?

> > The purpose is to force the use of this (or any
> > equivalent technology). _They_ would prefer this to be SSLeay.
>
> /I/ would prefer it to be the Internet Authentication and
> Encapsulating Security payloads myself.  If I ever have free time
> again I may write support myself (although I'd prefer to have somebody
> else's code).

Right - so there is a recognition that something is needed. The
discussion now goes to `what?' I personally have not heard of the code
you mention. Is it available overseas? Is it well publicised and
documented? Is it well used?

(These aren't meant to be jabs - I am genuinely just digging for info
here)

With this code we have it right now, and I have the time and inclination
to port it.

> It seems like a fine application of the `ports' facility.

That certainly is a possibility. It is not _my_ #1 choice, though.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200