Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 06:12:11 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
To:        Greg Lynn <dglynn@vaview5.vavu.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Always check serial cables!!

> Well I  found me freakin problem... serial cable
> was bad OR not meant for my particular mb!!  Now
> how often do serial cables go bad you ask ?

Wherever cables are involved, they are the first things to
check.  If they're new, they are often faulty; if they have
already been "proved" operational, they can still fail,
especially after being unplugged/plugged in.

One of my clients paid a licensed cabling contractor to install
a bunch of RS-232 serial cables in his new office a few months
back.  Initially, none of the new cables worked because the guy
who did the work could not understand a simple pinout for a
cross-over cable.  After he re-soldered the connectors at one
end of each cable, two of them still did not work because of
poor quality joints which he was persuaded to fix.  Of the other
four cables, three have subsequently failed and been repaired by
somebody else.  I presume the final cable will fail eventually.
This story, while somewhat worse than "normal", is not in any
way remarkable.

What is odd is that my client was going to use the very same
contractor to do the cabling for his forthcoming ethernet until
I made a fuss about it.

--
Greg Black -- <gjb@acm.org>