Date:      Mon, 29 May 2006 15:48:53 -0700
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        "current@freebsd.org" <current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Importing iSCSI target from NetBSD

Scott Long wrote:
> F. Senault wrote:
>
>> Monday, May 29, 2006, 10:39:40 AM, you wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>

>>> I wonder if anybody has any objections to importing iSCSI target daemon
>>> from NetBSD (Intel) into the base.
>>

>> Mh, I'm currently doing that, with the help of the author (Alistair G.
>> Crooks), under the form of a port.  Alistair just provided me a new
>> version I'm testing, and I was planning to submit the port shortly.
>> (It seems to work quite well).
>>
>> Now, if it's better to include it into the base, so much the better.
>> Alistair was kind enough to take into consideration my suggestions,
>> so, now, the daemon compiles and works under FreeBSD 6 (tested lightly
>> with and i386 and more intensively witn an amd64).
>>
>> The work in progress is here :
>>
>> http://www.lacave.net/~fred/iscsi/
>>

> If it's not going to be integrated into the existing target
> infrastructure then I'd prefer it to be a port.  Ultimately it
> would be nice for it to be part of the base system, though.

Well, arguably we may want to support both ways. Having iSCSI target
running in userland completely has some serious advantages (security is
a big one for example, as you can run daemon easily as unprivileged
process). The kernel iSCSI target only makes sense for really
performance-constrained cases, and hopefully sooner or later we will be
able to narrow the gap by utilizing zero-copy interfaces.

-Maxim