Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:50:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ed Watkeys <edw@poseur.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cdrecord problems to record 1 CD

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Jeremy McMillan wrote:

> You need to read the spec for El-Torito.
>
> Basically, you need a boot image written to block 0 of your raw CD-R. That
> boot image needs to know how to access your hardware (ie. load a kernel from
> somewhere?). Bootable CDROM supporting BIOS just looks at the first block of
> your CDROM and uses it *just* like the boot blocks from a floppy.

This is not the most helpful response. At your urging, I read the El
Torito spec, and what you're saying above does not appear to be true
of the Walnut Creek 3.2 install CD I have or the ISO image for the 3.3
install CD. What you're describing seems to be the "multiple boot
image configuration" that's discussed in the spec. The 3.2 and 3.3 CDs
appear to be of the "single boot image configuration" variety.

Reading through the mkisofs man page, it that that the ISO image
should contain all of the information necessary to make this CD-R
bootable. Has anyone actually booted off of a CD-R that they've burnt
from the September 17, 1999, image? The disc works fine for installing
packages, etc., but it fails with an error during boot that looks
something like "Booting from ATAPI CD-ROM: Failure." (Most of the
machines around here have Award BIOS, and they all give that error.)

Again, I'm using a copy of the burncd.sh script that I modified to
reference /dev/rwcd0c instead of the HP burner described in the
original script. I have an Acer 4432 CD-RW. The burncd.sh script uses
wormcontrol and not cdrecord -- if cdrecord works with ATAPI
CD-R/CD-RW drives the man page doesn't say so.

The information on burning CDs under FreeBSD is very spotty. I've been
to the freebsd.org site, dejanews, and altavista, only to scrape
together fragments of info. I'd be happy to collect and organize this
information if people out there have it.

Regards,
Ed

--
Ed Watkeys                                               edw@poseur.com