Date:      Thu, 31 May 2012 21:48:26 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   OpenSSL change for review.

--S1BNGpv0yoYahz37

As learned on someone else's mistakes, I'd like to ask for a review of
those changes related to random data handling:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/libc_arc4random.c.patch
	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/openssl_rand_unix.c.patch

The first patch changes arc4random() to use sysctl to obtain random data
instead of opening /dev/random. The main reason here is to make it more
sandbox-friendly. Once closed in sandbox, a process can no longer open
files, so it has no access to proper random data. As a side-effect it
should be a bit faster as instead of three system calls (open, read and
close) we use only one (__sysctl).

The second patch enables the use of libc's arc4random(3) in OpenSSL.

After implementing the first one I found that OpenBSD's arc4random(3)
also uses sysctl, but without fall back to /dev/random.

--=20
FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://tupytaj.pl

--S1BNGpv0yoYahz37