Date:      Sat, 08 May 1999 16:57:39 +1000
From:      Gavan McCormack <tetragon@bitey.cyber.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS question..

Sorry if this is not apropos for STABLE.

I am running 3.1-STABLE, and wish to NFS export the _directory_ /usr/home.

Currently, my /var and /usr are directories under /, I dont have a seperate
/usr partition. I want to export /usr/home, but do NOT want to have to
export /.

According to my 4.4BSD SMM "...the kernel information is stored on a per
local file system mount point and client host address basis and cannot
refer to individiual directories within the local server filesystem."

THis makes sense. I can export /, but not /usr/home. With the -alldirs in
the exports line I can mount only /usr/home on the remote machine, but there
is nothing to stop anyone with appropriate permissions on the remote host
to mount / and go through my filesystem.

Has this been changed in FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE? Or do I have to live with only
being able to export whole filesystems?