Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 1996 15:55:29 -0400
From:      James da Silva <jds@TracerTech.COM>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <Hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kern_mib.c:int securelevel = -1;

 > It looks like the assignment of securelevel was put into kern_mib.c from
 > kern_sysctl.c.  This is ok I guess, but I'd like to have an option
 > INSECURE that we can turn off...
 >
 > #ifdef INSECURE
 > int securelevel = -1
 > #else
 > int securelevel
 > #endif
 >
 > Here's the a comment from <sys/systm.h> ...

By the way, the comment is wrong on one important point: the disposition of
this variable in bss vs data will be irrelevant to a cracker.  If the
kernel is not immutable, the variable can be patched either way.

I still haven't heard of someone actually investigating and documenting all
the things necessary to make securelevel real, as opposed to just giving
people a false sense of extra security.  EG, for starters you'd have to
make every file that is touched in single-user mode immutable, and delay
starting up all your net daemons until securelevel goes past 0.  I'm not
sure if that's all.

Jaime
: jds@tracertech.com /   Tracer Technologies, Inc.   \ Stand on my shoulders, :
:   James da Silva  / Mass Storage Software Solutions \    not on my toes.    :