Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:57:48 -0700
From:      Tammer Saleh <tsaleh@scs.uiuc.edu>
Subject:   Re: Problems with STABLE on X23 thinkpad.

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

That could  be my  problem, but  I'm not  really sure...   I originally
installed  4.6.1p2, but  I've used  cvsup and  rebuilt everything  since
then...   My supfile  is tracking  4.x (I  think: "*default  release=3Dcvs
tag=3DRELENG_4").  Is there  a way to figure out exactly  which version of
FreeBSD I'm currently running? uname -a gives:

# uname -a
FreeBSD pheonix.tammer.net 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #3: Thu Aug 22
20:03:33 PDT 2002     root@pheonix.tammer.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PHEONIX
i386

Thanks for  the advice so  far...  If I can  get this fixed,  then we'll
have another FreeBSD convert on our hands.

tammer

> > Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:19:00 -0700
> > From: Tammer Saleh <tsaleh@scs.uiuc.edu>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
> >=20
> >=20
> > --zhXaljGHf11kAtnf
> >=20
> > I'm having some problems with FreeBSD on my X23 thinkpad which are bad
> > enough to make me consider switching back to linux.  I was wondering if
> > anyone here with an X series machine has see the same problems or knows=
 of
> > an answer.
> >=20
> > The first problem is an intermittent kernel panic upon resumeing from a
> > suspend.  This probably happens 5 - 10% of the time, which is not
> > horrible, but crashes and lost information is always a Bad Thing.
> >=20
> > The second problem is a predictable kernel panic.  This occurs every ti=
me
> > I attach the unit to the Ultra-base X2 dock.  The dock contains a
> > CD-ROM drive and a built in floppy drive (as well as power, serial,
> > parallel, and mouse ports on the back).  The unit does not panic when
> > removed from the base-station, but only when inserted into it.
>=20
> What version of FreeBSD? There were problems with the ata driver that
> caused crash on resume and other crashes. (I saw the crash on resume
> on my 600E.) If you are not running 4.6.2, RELENG_4_6 or RELENG_4 from
> fairly recently, you may have the this problem. I don't remember
> exactly when it was fixed.
>=20
> I have not been having any similar problems with my T30 which started
> out at 4.6.2 and runs Stable at 4.7-RC.
>=20
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)