Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 01:56:58 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login

On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 12:38:25PM -0700, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> I think it was, thanks.  I changed the order of the nameservers
> in resolv.conf and it no longer happens. :)

What about setting up a caching DNS server on your machine ?
You could configure forwarders.

options {
	directory "/etc/namedb";
	forwarders {
		aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd;
	};
};

in /etc/resolv.conf

domain		your.domain
nameserver	127.0.0.1

Had to do many many (~600) DNS requests in a script and had
a lame nameserver over network about 3-4 hops away.

After configuring a local DNS server the script was much (!) faster.

--
Andreas Klemm                               http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
                                  http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html