Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:55:39 +1030 (CST)
From:      Justin Hawkins <justin@tardis.mx.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't boot to partition 'e'

My home gateway system has recently had a hard drive upgrade - I tossed
out two old 500Mb disks and put in a single 12Gb disk. I used cpio to copy
all the files in across, and in the process my root partition is now
partition 'e'.

Everything works fine, except for booting:

F1  .  .  .  FreeBSD

Default: F?

Invalid partition
Invalid partition
No /boot/loader

>>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:wd(0,a)/kernel
boot:

At this point I need to type 'wd(0,e)' to get it to boot. Since this is a
headless box this is a rather large inconvenience!

I understand I need to change a setting somewhere, recompile the boot
loader and reinstall it, but all the boot related documentation I come
across I find very confusing. A step by step guide which showed what each
stage loader actually *looked* like would be nice so I knew where I was up
to, but enough moaning :-)

Can anyone give me a pointer in the right direction?

Alternatively I would be perfectly happy if there was a way to setup a
boot floppy to do this, that I could just leave sitting in the drive.

The disk is totally dedicated to FreeBSD. If I remember rightly I set it
to 'dangerously dedicated', but I'm not 100% on that.

bash-2.03$ df
Filesystem  512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0s1e     508126   240180   227296    51%    /
/dev/wd0s1g   15649162  5110364  9286866    35%    /usr
/dev/wd0s1f    2977214    31256  2707782     1%    /var
procfs               8        8        0   100%    /proc

bash-2.03$ uname -a
FreeBSD tardis.mx.com.au 3.3-STABLE FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE #4: Thu Nov 25
18:43:20 CST 1999     root@tardis.mx.com.au:/usr/src/sys/compile/TARDIS
i386

	- Justin