Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:00:13 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, developers@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Portmgr duties expand

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 12:43:52PM -0000, Paul Richards wrote:
> --On Saturday, November 17, 2001 19:01:45 -0700 Warner Losh
> <imp@harmony.village.org> wrote:

> > Core is pleased to announce that as of Tuesday, November 11, we've
> > delegated the maintenance of the ports tree to the portsmgr team.
> > They have been maintaining the infrastructure make system for a while
> > now.  To that list, we've added the ability to approve ports
> > committers; to resolve disputes within the ports tree; and to generally
> > manage the ports tree as appropriate.
>
> Will committers approved by the postmgr team be restricted to working in
> the ports tree or will they have free reign as other committers do?

Huh? I think the terminology is pretty clear, a ports committer is supposed
to work on ports only. Or are you seeking a technical fix that restricts
ports committers to the ports repo only?

> What's the process for becoming a src or docs committer if you were
> originally approved by portsmgr and not by core?

I simply would assume the same 'standard' committer approval process. Maybe
a bit of a fast-track one given that a ports-committer will have experience
with the processes and rules of the project.

W/