Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:48:54 +0800
From:      Paul Ambrose <ambrosehua@gmail.com>
To:        John Long <codeblue@inbox.lv>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porting FreeBSD to Loongson 3A (RS780e)

2012/7/11 John Long <codeblue@inbox.lv>:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:46:22AM +0800, Paul Ambrose wrote:
>> I received my Loongson 3A
>> box(http://www.lemote.com/products/computer/fulong/348.html) 9 days
>> ago. It has Loongson 3A processor, 4 cores at 900Mhz( 64KB L1D + 64KB
>> L1I per-core and 4MB L2 cache shared?? , MIPS64r2 with GS64 SIMD
>> extension and pre-installed with a RHEL6-derived distribution.  The
>> hardware configuration is here:
>
> Nice, this is the first I have heard that the 3A is actually in anyone's hands.
>
>> I did some test and some research, it seems stable, so I want to port
>> FreeBSD to this box.
>
> I have not seen that FreeBSD supports Loongson generally. Are you
> talking about a one-off for the 3A or are you talking about a port to
> all Loongson-based hardware?
>
> --
>                        _
> ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
>  against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD
>    and proprietary    / \         Mutt.org
>      attachments            Code Blue or Go Home!

I mean one-off for 3A, because

No.1, loongson 3 is for server application, and is fit for "the Power to Serve"
No.2, loongson 3a is mips64r2 compatible just like XLP832 and Octeon 6330
 which are already supported in FreeBSD/MIPS, and the chipset rs780e
for 3a is a common
hardware, we can easily porting freebsd to 3a.
No.3, loongson 3a is the first cpu in Loongson 3, 3b is pin-to-pin
compatible to 3a, if we got 3a brought up
3b is easy,