Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:23:43 -0600
From:      James Earl <jamesearl@telus.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stand-alone or combo web server/gateway

I recently setup two FreeBSD machines.  One a dual-homed gateway running natd and ipfw of course, the other a web server running apache2.

The dual-homed gateway is hooked up to an ADSL Internet connection, and the web server sits behind the gateway machine, and has all port 80 traffic forwarded to it through natd.

Both machines are Pentium II's 350/400-MHz with 64MB RAM.

Now that it's all together, I'm questioning this setup.  I realize now, I could have used just one machine to do everything, especially considering my Internet connection.

I'm guessing the latency added by having the web server behind the gateway is insignificant, and of no significance to anyone pulling data from the web server down the 640Kbps pipeline! -- correct?

Is there any major security, or other advantages to Keeping these machines separate?

The one thing I thought of was that if the web server was down, the two other computers (Yup, only two!) that access the Internet through the gateway machine, can still get on the Internet!

Any suggestions?  Was this setup overkill (at least I didn't go for a GB backbone with an ADSL connection :)