Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 2015 23:14:10 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Jason Harmening <jason.harmening@gmail.com>
Cc:        Svatopluk Kraus <onwahe@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bus_dmamap_sync() for bounced client buffers from user address space
References:  <CAFHCsPXMjge84AR2cR8KXMXWP4kH2YvuV_uqtPKUvn5C3ygknw@mail.gmail.com> <CAM=8qan-4SbKJaddrfkv=HG3n%2BHaOPDL5MEPS9DoaTvnhrJPZQ@mail.gmail.com> <20150425094152.GE2390@kib.kiev.ua> <553B9E64.8030907@gmail.com> <20150425163444.GL2390@kib.kiev.ua> <553BC9D1.1070502@gmail.com> <20150425172833.GM2390@kib.kiev.ua> <553BD501.4010109@gmail.com> <20150425181846.GN2390@kib.kiev.ua> <553BE12B.4000105@gmail.com>

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 01:47:07PM -0500, Jason Harmening wrote:

> On 04/25/15 13:18, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 12:55:13PM -0500, Jason Harmening wrote:
> >> Ah, that looks much better.  A few things though:
> >> 1) _bus_dmamap_load_ma (note the underscore) is still part of the MI/MD
> >> interface, which we tell drivers not to use.  It looks like it's
> >> implemented for every arch though.  Should there be a public and
> >> documented bus_dmamap_load_ma ?
> > Might be yes.  But at least one consumer of the KPI must appear before
> > the facility is introduced.
>
> Could some of the GART/GTT code consume that?
Do you mean, by GEM/GTT code ?  Indeed, this is interesting and probably
workable suggestion.  I thought that I would need to provide a special
interface from DMAR for the GEM, but your proposal seems to fit.  Still,
an issue is that the Linux code is structured significantly different,
and this code, although isolated, is significant divergent from the
upstream.

The special DMAR interface is still needed for bhyve, I am slowly working
on it.

> >> 2) There is a bus_dmamap_load_ma_triv that's part of the MI interface,
> >> but it's not documented, and it seems like it would be suboptimal in
> >> certain cases, such as when dmar is enabled.
> > When DMAR is enabled, bus_dmamap_load_triv() should not be used.
> > It should not be used directly even when not.  Drivers should use
> > bus_dmamap_load_ma(), and implementation redirects to _triv() if
> > needed.
> >
> > The _triv() is the helper to allow bus_dmamap_load_ma() to exists
> > on architectures which cannot implement, on not yet implemented,
> > proper page array load op.
> Yes, I noticed the same thing.  I'm not sure why _triv() is treated as
> part of the public API and not prefixed with an underscore and a comment
> not to use it in drivers.
It is not.  We do not claim that a function not starting with '_' is part
of the driver KPI.  Comment would be nice, indeed.