Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 21:59:35 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To:        Edward Elhauge <ee@uncanny.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frustration with SCSI system

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 12:58:27PM -0700, Edward Elhauge wrote:

> I've been using FreeBSD over the last 6 years (since I switched from
> NetBSD) to run a small ISP out of my basement.
>
> I've had about six disk crashes in as many years and still don't know how
> to work reliably with them.
>
> I have installed UPS boxes on each machine and that seems to have lowered
> the incidence of failure, but failures still happen; yesterday during our
> heat wave in the San Francisco area (possible brownouts also) I had
> another.

How hot gets your machine room/basement?

> OK, so you have to expect these things; but I never seem to find an easy
> way to recover these systems. The only thing that I've seen work has been
> to mount the disk on another system, back it up, reformat the drive, copy
> things back over and find out what was trashed. THERE MUST BE A BETTER
> WAY.

Yes. It is called RAID. Either in hardware or in software, using vinum.

> It seems like SCSI systems can't use the bad144 program. They are supposed
> to autorecover on bad sectors, but every system that I've had to recover
> seems to be in a state where the bad sectors aren't remapping. I've tried
> buying top of the line hardware, and it does work faster, but no more
> reliably than the cheap stuff. Once you get in this state it is difficult
> to mount the partitions so as to recover what is there.

There are a finite amount of replacement blocks on each SCSI disk. Once they
are given out you are toast.

> I really need some good advice here. Do I need to buy RAID hardware for
> each and every server in my network? Is there some way to force the SCSI
> system to remap bad drives?
>
> The error I'm getting is:
> 	MEDIUM ERROR info:1010f asc:14,1

Is automatic READ/WRITE remapping enabled on those drives? The real disk
gurus (Ken, Justin) will want to know which disk types you have.
camcontrol devlist or the dmesg.boot will tell them

--
Wilko Bulte  	 					wilko@freebsd.org
							Arnhem, the Netherlands