Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 2014 13:27:41 -0400
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
Cc:        Olli Hauer <ohauer@gmx.de>, ports@freebsd.org, Chris Rees <crees@physics.org>, pgsql@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: postgresql-server depends on client.  Why?

--Apple-Mail=_1E8D6595-979B-48F6-9664-FF335CE9EC3B

On Oct 17, 2014, at 10:44 AM, Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net> =
wrote:

> Thing is, we install header files and man pages in the client only, if =
memory serves me right. Also, tools like createdb are in the client =
package.=20
>=20
> So, apart from the obvious "I want to upgrade the client separately =
(before) the server", there are no arguments for not doing it the way we =
do it now. But maybe that argument is enough to motivate a change?

=93want=94 is not part of the issue.

Upgrading the client before upgrading the server is standard procedure =
as documented by the PostgreSQL project.

>=20
> Palle
>=20
> 17 okt 2014 kl. 16:40 skrev Olli Hauer <ohauer@gmx.de>:
>=20
>> In case the dependency on thr client will be removed all ports =
depending on the server alone at the moment should be checked if they =
also require the client part.
>> Additional clients should not define a conflict with server versions =
< client version
>> --=20
>> Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
>>=20
>> Chris Rees <crees@physics.org> wrote:
>> Hi Dan,
>>=20