Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:57:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mark.Andrews@isc.org, Mark_Andrews@isc.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.7-R-p3: j.root-servers.net

:
:That's good to know... I was kind of surprised that it was in the db at
:all.
:
:> 	BIND 9 will complain if there is additional data in the hints.
:
:Even better. :)
:
:--
:

    Ok, I'm thinking then that it's better to load it as a real zone
    file.  Why do it that way instead of allowing updates via a root
    server?  Because in the last ten years I've had a number of problems
    with individual root servers returning bad data.  It doesn't happen
    very often, but it does happen.  I've have never had problems with
    the downloaded root.zone, and if I ever do at least I'll know that
    it's the likely cause since I only download it once a week on sunday,
    and I can review the current and prior zone files without having to
    dump named.  From my point of view as an administrator that's the more
    secure approach.

    In anycase, there are obviously many ways to keep an up-to-date root
    zone, my methodology is only one out of that list.

						-Matt