Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:07:42 -0500
From:      Duane Winner <duanewinner@att.net>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Mounting to freebsd ufs under WinXP

I look into this issue an average of once a year, because it's always
been my dream to have a dual boot machine in which XP can read/write my
UFS/ext2/etc. partitions and FreeBSD/Linux/etc. can read/write my NTFS
partitions.

I've seen a handful of 3rd party software out there that seems to come
close, but I've never actually tried any of them because I get the
impression that they are buggy, not fully-developed, or worse, abandoned
projects.

My current, (and actually quite happy) compromise is to have XP on FAT32
(because *nix can't write to NTFS {yet}), and then do my schleping while
booted into FreeBSD. I backup my XP data from FreeBSD, and if I need to
transfer files to XP, FreeBSD can write to that partition.

I mount /dev/ad0s1 and make a sybolic link in my home directory to what
would be C:\Documents and Settings\myname\My Documents.

So when I do an "ls /home/myname/windata", I will see my XP "My
Documents". I can delete, create and edit files through this, too.

Works pretty nicely for me. I'm not crazy about the FAT32 compromise
(I've always been a stickler for NTFS security), but for a single user
box, I'm willing to compromise. Wouldn't dream of doing this on a
production box, though.

Regards,
DW