Date:      Mon, 9 Jan 2012 17:43:23 -0500
From:      Michael Scheidell <scheidell@freebsd.org>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: php5-5.3.8

On 1/9/12 4:52 PM, alexus wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to migrate from REDHAT EL world to FREEBSD. We have a policy of installing binary packages and stay away from compiling source code.
> I have FreeBSD-9.0RC3 and I did pkg_add -r apache22 pkg_add -r php5, so now I have both packages installed but I can't get them to work together...
you can compile your own, and use that from now on.

instead of 'make install' do a 'make package' from the /usr/ports tree.

What you need to understand about the 'pkg_add -r' is that this is a
SNAPSHOT IN TIME, and uses the BUILD IN DEFAULT OPTIONS (sorry, about
the shouting), but this is important.

9.x is NOT released yet, so, to say you want the pre-build binaries is
also a moving target.

on a second box, if you don't want to touch your production box, make
the individual packages with your options, make packages, put them
somethere, and then use pkg_add -r "{your url}" to add the package.

you could even do something like:

pkg_add -r "{your url}"  {package} || pkg_add -r {your package} that
would look, first for YOUR package, then the pre-build one that is
static and you should not use anyway..

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000