Date:      17 Aug 2002 17:38:39 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        chancedj@yahoo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VIA 82C686 Problem

On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 18:01, Daryl Chance wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get FreeBSD installed on my MB
> (Asus A7V w/ raid) and I can't get the install booted
> to even begin installation.  I've never had a problem
> like this (and I've run it on everything from 486 to
> K6-3 MB's).  I've tried both FreeBSD 4.5 (latest CD I
> have thats burnt) and 4.6.2 (floppy install) and both
> will hang at the same point, when it detects
> atapi_master1 (ad0).  It's a Western Digital 30G HD
> (UDMA 66) and I've tried with PNP OS On/Off and the
> Raid on/off plus different HD modes and nothing helps.
>  I booted with the -v parameter and that gives more
> info but the last message (I can write it down and
> send it if you'd like) is a successful message.  No
> fail messages at all (except not finding certain
> devices like parallel port which i have disabled).
>
> Anyone have any thoughts they can offer on what I can
> do to get it booted?  I'm willing to try out 5.0
> current too if I can get boot floopies for it.
>
> Thanks,
> Daryl (CC me please, I'm not on the list).

Have you tried putting the hard drive on the secondary master and the
cdrom on the primary master?  Maybe try a different cable.  Another
thing would be on the WD300BB, there's a jumper setting for master with
slave and one for master (single drive), although I doubt that's the
issue if your bios is probing it.   Your BIOS IS probing the drive,
isn't it?