Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:54:57 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        ticso@cicely.de, hch@infradead.org, wes@softweyr.com, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, vova@sw.ru, nate@root.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Database indexes and ram

"M. Warner Losh" wrote:
> I think that's all irrelevant.  Cards with 32bits can't go about 4GB.
> It is a far more fundamental problem.  Even 32bit cards in 64bit slots
> can't do this.  64bit cards could DMA into anywhere in the first
> 64bits of RAM, of course.

I think we are in violent agreement.  8-).

> I was confusing what you said with "The DMA is based on a virtual
> address" which is not quite the same thing.

Sorry if this was confusing; it was meant to reference the mappability
of the physical memory, not that the DMA targetted anything but
physical memory.

You *could* "check DMAability" by having a target area at some address
Q above 32 bits, and then checking to see if the data went there, or
to the address Q & 0x00000000ffffffff instead.  This would require you
to pick your areas carefully.

Ugly, ugly.

-- Terry