Date:      Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:43:13 +0300
From:      George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: www/86970: The new web site look and feel is not FreeBSDish as we all know and love

On Thursday 06 October 2005 17:01, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2005-10-06 11:21, George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:
> >On Thursday 06 October 2005 11:16, Ceri Davies wrote:
> >> The PR database is for bugs.  I don't consider this a bug.
> >
> > OK, Agreed.
> >
> >> Please raise your issues on the appropriate mailing list
> >> (www@FreeBSD.org) for discussion.
> >
> > To elaborate a little bit.
> >
> > I'm not a webmaster that's for sure, but what I miss from the old site
> > are the two panes directly displaying important bullet lists
> > information (about Platforms, Software, Documentation, Support, Bug
> > Reports, Development, Release, etc). Now I should dig the new site and
> > following uneeded links to get the informations. Please add the old,
> > good and informative panes from the old site.
>
> There's always the "WTF is this new stuff anyway?  I was comfortable and
> cozy with the old one".  Understandable, but don't let the "new stuff"
> factor blind you to any good things the new design has too :)

What I'm supposed to say when you lose trading efficiency for aesthetics for
no good reasons ? Ok, it is beautiful, but wastes people's time with useless
navigations. My workaround for the time being is bypassing it via google
(take a look for efficiency) 'site: freebsd.org query' which returns me
clean, sane and flat list of what I'm looking for.

> > Also you do not need big pictures in the center of the site, it should
> > be filled with important texts (as it used to be).
>
> Important for whom?  Others will quickly jump up and start arguing that
> "a couple of well placed, catchy images are worth a thousand words each".
>
> Note that I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying.  I'm

You are not the only one. There are multiple complaints left unaddressed
targeting the new site's efficiency:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-www/2005-October/002898.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-www/2005-October/002889.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-www/2005-October/002902.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-www/2005-October/002914.html

> only stating the fact that these are *YOUR* opinions, which you have
> *every* right to have but it should probably take a lot more than
>
> 			``This sucks, fix it''

This is not what I said!

> to get anything done :)

It has already been said that the important links should stay on the main
page, not forcing people digging hard for stuff. Look at the old site's left
pane for example. These are the bullet lists links for Platforms, Software,
Documentation, Support, Bug Reports, Development (at least) along with their
submenus as links. Just one-click away - clean, sane and simple.

Also my personal opinion is that the new site should have been placed at
freebsd.org/new and discussed to death before surprising people unexpectedly,
while the old one mentions about the prospective change and link to how it
would look at "Project News" (old's right pane) not the other way around like
to place the production one at old/ and fixing new site bugs on the fly.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB