Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 12:51:20 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
Subject:   Re: Disk bad sector question

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 05:22:30AM -0700, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> Yep, I already used camcontrol to view the original and grown defect
> lists after seeing these errors.
>
> And I know I can try copying data to the sectors in question and
> force them to be remapped, etc.  But I want to take a look at the
> affected files first and recover as much as I can from them, before I
> do that.  I didn't see how camcontrol would help in that respect.
>
> I guess I'd be rather surprised if there is no way to figure out
> which sectors are assigned to which inodes or files..
>

> --
> Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
> Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium

My bad, I read your post to quickly, sorry.
You might find the information in /usr/src/sys/ufs/ufs interesting,
mostly dinode.h I think. That contains the layout of an inode as it's
present on an ufs filesystem and contains an array of the disk
blocks it's using. Then you could try to read those sectors with dd,
I hear there's a modified version which handles i/o errors a bit better
but retrieving it will be a hard job.

Gr,

--
Axel Scheepers