Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 00:16:43 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        jcondon <jcondon@computer.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ppp pmdemand dials when I dont want it to

> Been wrestling with this for about a week.  Started running 2.2.2 and
> did a fresh reinstall to 2.2.5.  All seems to work fine except it dials
> and apperently does DNS lookups for apperently no reason.  I have
> removed the -q option on Sendmail, and disabled Sendmail altogether.
> When I unplug the ethernet cable from the Win95 machine, or dialup via
> its own modem / DUN it doesn't cause the UNIX box to dial in.  However
> when the Win95 is plugged into the ethernet and running nothing more
> then explorer and systay it will dial in with in 15 mins usually
> sooner.  I did notice that if I dial in with the Win95 box and do
> NOTHING it sends about 250 bytes a min and receives about 15K.  Could
> this have something to do with it?
[.....]

I think you really need to find out what's being looked up in each
case and stop each lookup at source, *or*........

I've never really used demand dialing, it simply never does what you
want it to do.  I sat down and thought about it at one point, and
decided that I've basically got a network that I use personally.  I
don't want arbitrary DNS lookups to trigger a dialup, and I don't
want sendmail doing a dialup as soon as I press "Send" on my mailer -
I've normally got more than one thing to send.  I don't want the
machine to dialup while I'm not there *except* to do a cvsup and
exchange news & mail at some early hour of the morning.  In fact, the
only time I actually want to ``demand dial'' is when I'm actually
sitting in front of the machine and think "I want a connection".

These thoughts triggered the fixing of -background mode and the birth
of pppctl.  The pppctl man page essentially has examples of the
scripts I use (available from all machines on my network) to make a
connection.  I run ppp in -auto mode so that there's never any
contention trying to start two at once.  I have six FvwmButtons on my
desktop - "Connect 30", "Connect 60", "Connect 120", "Connect 300",
"Disconnect" and "Hangup".  The "Hangup" script sends a HUP to ppp,
and the rest are invocations of the stuff in pppctl(8).  Even under
M$, I have buttons that connect a telnet session to one of the
FreeBSD boxes on a specific port.  Inetd runs a script that does the
"connect 300" or whatever.  The script exits and the M$ box loses the
connection.  Of course I had to install some third party freeware
telnet implemenation 'cos the M$ one starts stuffing dialogue boxes
in your face when the connection drops :-|

So, every machine I sit in front of (or switch to) has a set of
connect/disconnect buttons or scripts, and ppp doesn't do *any*
unwanted dialing !

Perhaps I ought to ramble on about this in the FAQ :-)

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;