Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:22:34 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "How Can ThisBe" <howcanthisbe300@hotmail.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: device.hints and APM/ACPI question

> From: "How Can ThisBe" <howcanthisbe300@hotmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:42:35 +0000
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hi, just trying out -CURRENT on a IBM x21 that was running 4.7-STABLE.
> Everything went ok but I did have to do a 'unload kernel', 'load
> /boot/kernel' to kick in the -CURRENT kernel.

Didn't read UPDATING? Ah, well, I hit this one, too, although I fixed
it by installing the new loader as shown in UPDATING.

> I've found the new /boot/device.hints to be a little on the confusing
> side. I was wondering if there is documented information somewhere
> besides in conf/NOTES and man device.hints?

Probably not. In general, device.hint is just a replacement for
specifying device details in the kernel config file. The majority if
the file is just telling the system how to configure ISA devices. I
had to add hints for my audio card in my 600E.

> The next question is about APM/ACPI - is there any info about which
> systems ACPI 'should' work on? I had heaps of problems trying to get ACPI
> to work on my laptop, all with almost no success at all. So, I've
> disabled ACPI in my /boots/device.hints (hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"),
> enabled apm back into my kernel and rc.conf, and commented out the
> hint.apm.0.disabled="1" in device.hints. Everything is working fine
> now, but should ACPI have worked on an x21?

ACPI should work fine on an X21. Make sure that you have the latest
BIOS.

When you say the it did not work, a bit more detail might be helpful.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)