Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 2000 16:29:27 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chio trap with not-ready changer

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 16:25:57 -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >Oooh, I think I know what may be going on here.  I suspect you're hitting
> >the following case in cam_periph_error():
> >
> >			} else {
> >				/* decrement the number of retries */
> >				retry = ccb->ccb_h.retry_count > 0;
> >				if (retry)
> >					ccb->ccb_h.retry_count--;
> >				/*
> >				 * If it was aborted with no
> >				 * clue as to the reason, just
> >				 * retry it again.
> >				 */
> >				error = ERESTART;
> >			}
> >
> >You hit that when there is a SCSI error, but autosense failed, and there
> >are still retries left.
>
> If the autosense failed, the system would not print out "Unit Attention...".
> You have to have sense information for that.

The sense information that Mike included in his mail was from some
debugging stuff I told him to put in the driver.

Also, the changer driver prints out SCSI sense information if the CAM
status is CAM_SCSI_STATUS_ERROR.  It doesn't check the CAM_AUTOSNS_VALID
status bit.

My guess is that the drive is sending back sense information, but maybe
it's sending it back with check condition set?

> >I'll think about it and run it by Justin (CCed) as well.  You might make
> >an ideal beta tester for his error recovery code rewrite.  :) (I don't
> >know if it's ready for testers just yet, though.)
>
> I think it is in good enough shape to send out.  I just need to verify
> one more thing.

Cool.

> >One of the things I think he's planning on doing is issuing a request sense
> >when autosense fails.  I'm not sure how much that would help in this case,
> >but it might.
>
> Yes, it does perform sense retrieval in that case.

That might help.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry