Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:32:37 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        Neil McGann <neil@neilmcgann.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UDMA and 100Mbit NIC speed issues

Kent Stewart wrote:

> Neil McGann wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing a problem with network upload speed using 4.4-Release when
>> the HD is in DMA mode. Basically the same as problem report
>> kern/32338, but the possible fix doesn't work for me.
>>
>> Machine is a ASUS Cuple-vm mobo (VIA PLE133), 400MHz celeron, Netgear
>> FA311 NIC and IBM 60GX 60Gb deskstar on ULTRA100. Network is
>> full-duplex thro a 100Mbit switch.
>>
>> Symptom is ftp upload is very slow in DMA HD mode 5 and much faster in
>> PIO mode. I see up/down of a (approx.) 100Mb file at 50s/29s in PIO
>> and 3m50s/33s in UDMA.
>

> I have an ECS-K7S5A and an Amptron 830LM that have on board ATA-100 and
> 100Mps networking. I am consistently seeing 11MB/s transfers between the
> systems. There are usually some shared IRQ such as the AGP and the 1st
> PCI slot. When I have an AGP video, I don't use the first slot.
>

>> I have tried disabling the on-board video, and then using a 3Com
>> 3C905B NIC, but the massive slowdown is the same. I tried a different
>> FA311 in a dual-boot Linux 2.4.x/Win 2K machine with a 40Gb version of
>> the same IBM drive (but a ULTRA66 controller on a 1GHz PIII) and Linux
>> showed _exactly_ the same slow-down symptom as FreeBSD. Win2K didn't
>> slow down - it was faster overall in TCP/IP (40sec/15sec) and MUCH
>> faster in SMB (15sec/15sec).
>

> I don't have a 100MB file but I can transfer the packages for kde-2.2.2,
> which have a number of 9+MB files and see 11+MB/s on W2K. I don't see a
> difference in transfer rates on the SiS-735 chipset motherboards.
>
> Kent
>

>> So - what is killing the performance in FreeBSD (and Linux) where
>> Win2K is much faster???? (is w2K doing adaptive disk throttling to
>> maximise network bandwith???)
>>
>> Anyone got suggestions of how to start looking at this? I'm relatively
>> new to freeBSD and very pleased with it overall, but on the same
>> hardware W2K wipes the floor with it on sheer network/disk speed (at
>> least on UDMA/100Mbit).

Your problem got me curious and I found a copy of the 4.5-rc1.iso,
which is 676Mb. When I transfered it from nomad (P-III 450), which is
my W2K server, to coral running 4.5-rc, the transfer required 156
seconds. Nomad to opal required 140 seconds. I then ftped it to opal
from coral, which is also running 4.5-rc and it required 59 seconds
(11.4 MB/s). Transfering it back from opal > coral required a similar
amount of time. Nomad to either machine is slower than coral (FreeBSD)
to opal (FreeBSD) and I tried it running both FreeBSD and W2K Pro on
opal. Nomad is slower all of the time.

I am curious what kind of setup you have. Since we are not seeing the
same transfer rate between FreeBSD machines, I have to assume you have
something configured differently than I do. An ifconfig on coral shows

sis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         inet 192.168.0.17 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
         ether 00:07:95:0b:0c:31
         status: active

This is basically a default setup. The only difference on opal is the
internal ether address and IP.

I have all of my systems hooked up to 10/100 baseT switches and are
all running full-duplex. They are on different floors. I have nomad
and opal on the same switch and coral is in the basement and on the
second switch. Nomad uses an Intel Pro 10/100+ and coral and opal are
using the SiS-900 builtin NIC, which was just added to the 4.5 support.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA