Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 1996 09:58:30 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        jhs@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

Justin Gibbs <gibbs@freebsd.org>:
> This isn't true since CVSup is a streaming protocol instead of a
> synchronous like SUP.  I know quite a few people who switched from
> CTM to CVSup that have poor links to the net.

Justin is right.  CVSup works very well under poor network conditions.
That was one of the primary design goals.  In fact, CVSup almost
certainly works better under adverse conditions than SMTP, which
delivers your CTM updates.

Julian, have you even _tried_ CVSup??  I watch the server logs pretty
closely, and I don't recall seeing your name in them.

It's not in anybody's interest to start a "CVSup vs. CTM" war.  They
each have advantages and disadvantages.  People are welcome to use the
one that serves their needs the best.  (Sup, on the other hand, can die
die die, as far as I'm concerned. ;-)

But if you're going to comment publically on either CVSup or CTM,
you really ought to know what you're talking about first.