Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 1997 21:30:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Not sure about this netstat -ss output

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> I was messing around with Net.Medic's vitalsigns the other day, and it
> told me that my DNS server was having problems responding.

  Net.Quack is junk.  Since it runs in the background (and Win95
multitasking isn't so great), it will report all kinds of "slow downs" as
you do stuff in the foreground.

  It will also misreport all kinds of connection problems.  For example,
if you disconnect the ethernet, it wil tell you the DNS server and gateway
routers are down.  But of course they aren't, the connection itself is
down, but net.quack can't tell the difference!  Plus, if you do a big
download at the same moment that net.medic is "testing", it determine that
all kinds of things are "slow".

  If you want to test DNS response time, use "dig" under unix.  It gives
you the DNS server response times in ms.  Meanwhile, I'm still trying to
figure out what units net.quack uses.

Tom