Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2000 22:11:17 PST
From:      "Michael Lewis" <m1ewis@hotmail.com>
To:        mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem/PPP config problem

>From: Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
>To: Michael Lewis <m1ewis@hotmail.com>
>CC: questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: modem/PPP config problem
>Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 21:59:27 +0000
>
>On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 12:35:28PM -0800, Michael Lewis wrote:
> >

> > >From: Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
> > >To: Michael Lewis <m1ewis@hotmail.com>
> > >CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> > >Subject: Re: modem/PPP config problem
> > >Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 16:08:59 +0000
> > >

> > >Looking at your ppp.log it appears that you modem is not responding
> > >to the ``AT'' command.
> > >
> > >At the ``ppp on xxxxx>'' prompt try typing ``term'' and if you get
> > >a prompt try entering ``AT <RETURN>'' and you should get ``OK''
> > >back.
> > >

> > When I type "term" I get:
> > deflink: Entering terminal mode on /dev/cuaa1
> > Type '~?' for help
> > The following commands are available:
> > ~p		Enter Packet mode
> > 	.
> > 	.
> > 	.
> >
> > But then I have no control of the keyboard at all, so when I enter AT
>ret
> > nothing happens.  If I type ~. I get out of terminal mode.  What do I
>have
> > to do to try the AT command?
> >

>Do you mean that ``AT'' doesn't appear on the screen? If so then
>I don't really know what to suggest. Sorry :(
>

> > >Also, is your modem found at boot-time? what does the output from
> > >dmesg(8) show?
> > >

> > Good question.  I don't know how to interpret dmesg.  What I find for
>the
> > serial devices is:
> >
> > sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa		(I assume this is the
>mouse)
> > sio0: type 16550A
>
>This is the first serial port (COM1 in DOS parlance)
>
> > sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa		(I assume this is the modem)
> > sio1: type 16550A
> >

>and this is the second. If your modem is external (and you're using
>a serial mouse) then it probably is your modem.
>
> > But that's all I find in dmesg -- nothing about cuaaX.
>
>You won't see cuaaX during boot, just sioX.
>
> > Is the modem info
> > there somewhere or is it just not being found?
> >
> > thanks for your reply, Mike
>
>You're welcome, I'm just sorry I can't be of more help.
>
>BTW, you should always CC: the questions mailing list. That way
>many more people will see it and you stand a better chance of
>getting help. I've CC:'d this reply.

Mark -- I found the stty command, and when I ran

	stty -f /dev/cuaa1 -a

the info that came back looked nothing like a modem at all.  Tell me,
if
	1. the I/O port is configured correctly -- sio1 using int3 and the correct
address and

	2. the modem board is jumpered correctly and works ok in Windows

would you expect to see the stty results from the command above reflect the
modem device?

Mike