Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 20:43:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Big Giant Lock progress?

:
:I have a problem with this portion of the smp-patch-02.diff:
:
:Index: sys/lock.h
:===================================================================
:RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/sys/sys/lock.h,v
:retrieving revision 1.16
:diff -u -r1.16 lock.h
:--- lock.h      1999/08/28 00:51:50     1.16
:+++ lock.h      1999/11/18 08:22:37
:@@ -208,4 +208,15 @@
: #endif /* NCPUS == 1 */
: #endif /* !SIMPLELOCK_DEBUG */
:
:+#ifdef SMP
:+void get_mplock(void);
:+void rel_mplock(void);
:...

    Yes, that's actually not part of my patch set, but Alfred's, thanks
    for pointing it out!  I accidently left it in there.  It will not be part
    of the commit.

    That said, I'm not sure it's possible to make modules SMP-unaware
    unless we commit ourselves to having dummy mplock and simplelock
    procedures for non-SMP kernels.  i.e. real procedures that are empty
    instead of a #define to non-existance.

    Without a kernel device driver or module API, we are pretty much S.O.L.
    with modules already - if you don't recompile your modules when you
    recompile the kernel, bad things often happen.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:+#define GET_SYSCALL_LOCK       get_mplock()
:+#define REL_SYSCALL_LOCK       rel_mplock()
:+#else /* !SMP */
:+#define GET_SYSCALL_LOCK
:+#define REL_SYSCALL_LOCK
:+#endif /* SMP */
:+
:+
: #endif /* !_LOCK_H_ */
:
:This appears to be unrelated to the MPgetlock etc code so it may not be
:intended to be there.  However, the problem is that it looks like it's
:exposing more "#ifdef SMP" to modules..  This is a problem if we have to
:have a SMP vs non-SMP set of modules for 4.0-RELEASE, especially for things
:like OSS.  Obviously I haven't seen the code, but please keep this in mind.
:
:Cheers,
:-Peter