Date:      Tue, 08 Feb 2000 00:03:23 -0500
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What Linus said about FreeBSD

I don't think that Torvalds' comments necessarily hit the nail on the head,
but I don't think that he exactly pulled them out of his butt either.

The development model and community of Linux have tremendous and easily
identifiable advantages in the development process.  And as with anything,
there are disadvantages too.  All those eyes and hands reviewing and adding
to the codebase make for some of the most rapid, breakneck development the
software world has ever seen.  It also creates a high amount of noise at
times and takes some work to get all the pistons firing at once.  That's
not necessarily the case with a team like the Core Group, but it may keep
some would-be developers from feeling like part of the "club."

I often wonder whether or not Torvalds himself ever tried to contribute to
the Project (or any other BSD for that matter).  If not, I can't really
think that his opinion is based on anything but distant observation and
hearsay rather than empirical events.  Like you, I've had no problems in
"fitting in" with the FreeBSD group.  (Then again, maybe I'm a more likable
guy than Torvalds. ;-) )

But the growth of Linux, regardless of what percentage luck and what
percentage of the-time-has-come, has proven to be beneficial to the
free/open source community at large.  As they say, a high tide causes all
ships to rise.  I heard of FreeBSD largely because of my investigation into
Linux, and I think there are others out there on the list who also had
similar experiences.  The development model was never a factor for me
personally because I had no desire to write code.  As far as I'm concerned,
if Greenman and Hubbard et al say that it's good enough for them, then by
jove it's good enough for me.

The simple point is that no one tool works for all jobs.  Linux has it's
place, the BSDs have their place, Windows has it's place, and so
on.  Anyone that claims that his tool is the best for everything is either
a liar or doesn't really understand his tool very well.  (No innuendo was
intended here either, but I guess it applies nonetheless.)  If FreeBSD is
"progressing" too fast for you, move to OpenBSD (or stop upgrading which
would probably be simpler).  If Linux doesn't run all the hot games you
want, install Windows.  You make your bed and then lie in it.  But given
the number of messges to this list that are written with Outlook Express,
most people probably already know this.

Either way, Linus Torvalds is just one man.  He's not the Messiah.  But if
I really try to imagine all the pressure that goes with being in his
position, a position in which every statement of opinion is taken as
policy, I have to say that I don't think he's doing such a bad job.  Like I
said, we all stand to benefit here, so let's all stay focused on the goals.

K.--