Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2012 19:44:00 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Matt Thyer <matt.thyer@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 157k interrupts per second causing 60% CPU load on idle system

On 3/20/2012 1:26 AM, Matt Thyer wrote:
> I've upgraded my FreeBSD-STABLE NAS from r225723 (22nd Sept 2011) to
> r232477 (4th Mar 2012) and am finding that a system process called "intr"
> is now constantly using about 60% of 1 CPU starting a short time after
> reboot (possibly triggered by use of the samba server).
>
> When this starts, systat -vm 1 says that the system is 85% idle and 14%
> interrupt handling.
> It says that there's around 157k interrupts per second.
>
> Any idea what could be the cause ?

This sounds like the problem I had with my intel board.  BIOS update
fixed it.  What chipset and MB vendor do you have ?
/usr/ports/sysutils/dmidecode is handy for digging up BIOS and chipset info

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2012-March/239394.html

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400