Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 1996 00:07:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      cau@cc.gatech.edu (Carlos Ugarte)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        cau@cc.gatech.edu
Subject:   Re: help writing a new SCSI device driver

Thanks for the help.  I took a second look at the daemon book,
and with the hints here it makes more sense.  But I've a few more
questions now...

I see that KVTOPHYS is done using a function, but PHYSTOKV varies
a lot (by driver).  Some store the xor of the physical and kernel
virtual addresses to convert between one and the other, but I'm
not sure if this will work for the entire memory range...  I know
the SCSI bios is in a certain memory range (say, physical
0xca000); and using the PHYSTOKV macro from wd7000.c, I am
actually able to check the BIOS - but I wonder if this will work
at all times.  This method works by adding KERNBASE to the
physical address, or taking the OR of the physical address and
0xf0000000.  Both work in my case, but I wonder...

Also, I noticed that not all drivers seem to support
disconnection/reselection.  Is this because it is difficult to
implement, or because it provides little improvement?  All docs
I've seen imply that you gain some, but never quantify how
much...  Is it worth the trouble, if it can be done?

Carlos

--
Carlos A. Ugarte                                cau@cc.gatech.edu
Author of PageMage, a virtual desktop util for OS/2