Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:48:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Eric F Crist <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
Cc:        'Michael Sierchio' <kudzu@tenebras.com>, 'Ryan Thompson' <ryan@sasknow.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password security

Dag, you have some very good points regarding
Biometrics, but one thing that scares me about them
that hasn't been mentioned (that I've seen) is that
once your fingerprint is stolen it can never be
trusted again.  Same with a palm print, etc.  If
someone gets into the company database and nabs these
things then replay attacks can follow you for years.
Not likely, but possible.  When you quit a job that
uses a handscanner for data center access, what do
they do with your print?  I doubt they delete it and
write over it 12+ times.

Eric has a good point also though.  The point of
security (in my view) isn't to stop all attacks.  It's
to stop the almost all of them, while increasing the
time and effort it takes the really good attacks to
succeed.  If you're running a NIDS and/or tripwire
type thingies, then increasing the penetration time
should allow you to react.

As for the initial problem... I would take the lazy
admin way out and upgrade the windoze SSH client to
one that uses keys AND passwds (like ssh.com).  You
can give your users their key on a floppy with a
notepad file on how to install this client on their
home machine and where to put the key.  Then have them
chmod 700 C:\Windo...hmmm.  Sorry.

This solution kind of sucks, but it's simple and users
won't go out of their way to subvert it.  With all the
other precautions you're taking it should work fine
though.  Also, maybe enforce 15 minute,
passwd-protected screensavers on their boxes with a
script they don't know exists.

=====