Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 12:15:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@fourier.physics.purdue.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Y2K, Y 2038?

:While the world is still using 32bit CPUs the move to 64bit time_t will be
:expensive in terms of performance. We could probably make the move on the DEC
:Alpha, but until ppl move to the Merced (or whatever 64bit P.O.S. Intel
:produces) I don't think many people will like to take the performance
:degredation now.
:
:Personally, my thoughs on how to do this are to have new syscalls which return
:64 bit time_t variables, and you choose at compile time which ones you get
:(i.e. sorta like the way solaris 7 has done things)
:
:Gary

    My personal opinion is that timekeeping and conversion is not generally
    a critical performance component in any program, and that the only
    time you typically manipulate it in a sophisticated fashion is when you
    are doing time conversions, and even then you are only doing a few
    multiplications and divisions before it is broken down enough that 'int'
    can be used internally.

    I consider the performance overhead of moving to a 64 bit time_t to be
    minimal.  In fact, I consider it to be virtually nil, just as the
    performance overhead of using 64 bit file offsets internally is virtually
    nil.  Now, it seems doubtful to me that we can actually redefine 'time_t'
    itself - we'd probably need a 'ltime_t' or 'dtime_t' or whatever the
    standards organizations have come up with, but I see no problem in
    converting all internal library routines to operate on a 64 bit time
    quantity and just leave the leafs to support the old function calls.

							-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)