Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2020 18:23:45 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
To:        Michael Grimm <trashcan@ellael.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, FreeBSD <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: replacement of security/ipsec-tools

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB

Michael Grimm wrote:

[dd]

>=20
> Then this mail made my day:
>=20
> >> What do I need?
> >> 	#) a VPN tunnel between two hosts
> >> 	#) both local networks reachable from the remote host
> >=20
> > That is what kernel IPSec is for, you can even do it on static keys
> > without any ISAKMP daemon like racoon. See an example in if_ipsec(4).
>=20
> I did install my IPSEC/racoon tunnel many years ago and missed the recent=
 implementation of if_ipsec completely.=20
>=20
> Victor, thank you very, very much for pointing me to this interface.
> Now, my tunnel is far less complicated to implement[1], and I will no
> longer need security/ipsec-tools at all!=20

You are welcome. But maybe one day you'll want to change your IPSec keys
more often than in a manual setup, then you'll return to some ISAKMP
implementation.

I've been trying out strongswan for the last 2-3 days and must admit
it's not that scary when you grasp the concept. But it is not without
its problems either, see my another post about it.

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB