Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 08:44:08 -0500
From:      Clark Joel A1C AMC CSS <Joel.Clark@scott.af.mil>
To:        "'bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV'" <bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Clark Joel A1C AMC CSS <Joel.Clark@scott.af.mil>, "'net@freebsd.org'" <net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Routers and such

Right now it is only one subnet, fed from an 56Kbps ISP connection.

But if I understand you correctly, I WILL need one if I need to bring up
another subnet.  And if so, I assume routed will suffice for low-bandwidth
applications?

jc

> A router is necessary when the machine you're using becomes to slow
> to handle the load.  There's no reason why you can't just grab another
> FreeBSD machine and build a router on it.  Even a P100 can easily keep
> up with DSL, Cable Modem, or T1 speeds.  ISDN or analog modems are no
> problem, as long as you get good serial ports.

That's true for one particular environment (small network attached to a
consumer ISP, where everything goes through a single gateway).

When I first read this question, however, I thought, "When you can't put
all your hosts on a single subnet and you need to build an
internetwork."  I'm thinking of a campus network setting, and it's not
clear to me which environment the original question was addressing.

Cheers,

Bruce.