Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:57:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 20657 for review

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> Brian Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=20657
> >
> > Change 20657 by green@green_laptop_2 on 2002/11/04 11:34:53
> >
> > 	Be resilient to relabel operations on mac_lomac objects by
> > 	always blanking the destination and copying the old label,
> > 	but only if the new label "appears" internalized.
>
> BTW, this really does apply to all policies, and needs to be documented
> as such.  Biba/MLS got it "not totally wrong" because they don't bzero
> the label they're overwriting, so in the case where there's nothing to
> copy they just overwrite nothing on the target label.

I guess I would interpret the Biba and MLS behavior a little differently:
Biba and MLS labels optionally have 0, 1, or 2 of their components defined
(single, range).  Biba and MLS will avoid updating any component that
hasn't had an update requested, and the conditional copy implements this
behavior.  I.e., if you don't request single be updated, it won't replace
the single component.  That representation does coincide with the
initialized and not internalized/created definition intentionally -- are
you suggesting that we just need to add a comment indicating as much, or
that we need to change behavior?

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories