Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 06:17:06 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.ru>, Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>, FreeBSD-Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, peter@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error installing pine-3.96

> Is it just me, or is there something fundamentally amiss with the
> principle that ports are only supported on an unreleased version
> of the operating system used by a minority of the user base?

Uh..  Yeah, there is, basically.

Historically the party line has been "we don't have enough volunteers
to support multiple branches so we only support -current" and people
grumbled a bit but seemed to generally accept this with 2.1.x.  I
don't think that they're going to be so generous with 2.2.x,
especially given that we're only now *starting* that branch and will
probably run it for a good 6-9 months.  If even 10% of the "3.0 ports"
break under 2.2.x, there will be howls.

I'm not necessarily advocating going the multi-branch route and
imposing the same disciplines on ports/ that we have on src/, either
(though that may eventually be necessary and I'm not saying anything
either way on that yet), but it would be nice if ports maintainers
made a special effort to see that a port compiled under *both*
branches of the OS.  Most porters are probably running 2.2 anyway, and
if thud will start staying up more than 4-5 hours at a time, we can
have them test the 3.0 operability there.

Thoughts?

					Jordan