Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:41:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brandon Lockhart <brandon@engulf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Slackware vs FreeBSD, aswell as my opinion on this list.

Slackware vs. FreeBSD

I have run both systems.  I ran Slackware Linux for about 2 years, and am
now experimenting with FreeBSD.  When I ran Slackware, I was lucky to get
a 10 day uptime.  I have experimented with both Redhat5 and Slackware (96
i belive).  Both of these operating system's chewed RAM like you wouldn't
belive.  It was close to Windows.  When I installed FreeBSD.  A 10 day
uptime for me is considered bad.  I am used to having uptimes of over a
month.  This is with half the RAM.  I had to pump 128 megabytes of RAM
into my Linux system (both) to get 10 day uptime's, where as with 64,
running the same program's, I never even USE swap before I reboot.  The
only time I even reboot is when I am upgrading my kernel to the next
3.0-CURRENT strand.

Also, someone prior had said that Linux had more documentation and support
because more users who want to fool around use it.  If you go into a book
store, you will find about 20 books on Redhat, Slackware, Debian, etc.
You will be lucky to find a book on FreeBSD.  What I am about to say will
contradict with what I say below, but I will give it a try anyway.  A
FreeBSD newbie is not necessarily a newbie to the UN*X operating
system(s).  I understand Linux like the back of my hand, but when I
switched over to FreeBSD, I felt like a beginner again.  The FreeBSD users
you will find, tend to be the more experienced users.  Yea, Linux is fun,
but I feel FreeBSD is more stable.  Better sources for support.

Now, about my opinion on this list.  There would be no FreeBSD chat
between newbies if there where no questions.  I think this list should be
for FreeBSD newbies in general.  Not just for chat, but questions also.  I
mean, the manual is a good place to find answers, but who write's those
things.  If we could understand them we wouldn't need to ask questions.