Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 07:57:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        mhenry@white.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au (Henry; Michael Kenneth)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Processor

In a previous message, Henry; Michael Kenneth said:
> I am preparing to make my own kernel, but I have a question about
> the processor options.
>
> The GENERIC config file has options for 386, 486, 586, and 686 processors.
>
> I am using a Cyrix 6x86MX, and therefore the 686 option seems to make
> the most sense, but the LINT config file says the 586 is for Pentium
> processors and the 686 is for Pentium Pro processors.

It should be 586, but you can find out for sure, while booting your
GENERIC kernel by looking in dmesg for the following line:

CPU: Pentium (132.96-MHz 586-class CPU)

Ok, it won't say that of course, but it will say what class CPU it is.

--
"I didn't accept it.  I received it."
-- Richard Allen, National Security Advisor to President Reagan, explaining