Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 15:40:41 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>, Jordan Krushen <jkrushen@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape backup questions

On Sunday,  8 November 1998 at 18:25:13 -0800, Bryce Newall wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Jordan Krushen wrote:
>
>> I've just added a Seagate TapeStor 4/8Gb SCSI drive to my 2.2.7 system, and
>> I'm having a hard time figuring out how to have multiple sessions added to
>> the tape.  When using tar with /dev/nrst0 for two consecutive files, only
>> the first file written to the tape remains.
>
> Tar doesn't allow you to create archive files on a tape.  Rather, it sees
> the tape itself *as* the archive file, and allows you to add files to and
> extract them from the archive file.  If you want to add to an existing
> tape archive, you should theoretically be able to use the -A (append)
> switch on the tar command.  (I've never actually tried this, so I can't
> verify that it actually works.)  Otherwise, tar will erase the header on
> the tape and start a new one.

I don't know where you get this idea.  tar does allow you to create
archive files on a tape.  That's what it's there for.

You're talking about explicitly appending to a tar archive, which used
to be popular, but is a Bad Thing with streamers.

  # tar clf /dev/nrst0 /
  # tar clf /dev/nrst0 /usr
  # tar clf /dev/nrst0 /home

This will give you three backups with the contents of each of the file
systems /, /usr and /home.

In Jordan's case, I'm pretty sure that both files are there.
Unfortunately, streamers are a little sloppy writing file marks, and
it's possible for the following to happen with the tape written above:

  # mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind
  # tar tvf /dev/nrst0
  (list of / file system)
  # tar tvf /dev/nrst0