Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 1995 03:35:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   "Cookbook" for security.

Poul and I were talking about the whole immutable flag issue, and
since cpio, tar, pax and friends don't support the notion of
extracting these extra flags ANYWAY, we might as well make a virtue of
a vice and go "cookbook" style on it, where some central well-known
file contains information that can be used to apply the flags in
question after the system is installed.  For that matter, the file can
also contain MD5 checksums so that you can verify that all the
"important" files have not been changed from the release copies.
Needless to say, the "cookbook" file should be highly immutable itself
in these cases :-).

It seems to me that this would serve as a very valuable security aid
and of use in creating the overall security tool from hell that I'd
like to see on FreeBSD someday! :-)

					Jordan