Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 23:39:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Pete McNab <stillers@slip.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP connect/routing help

Hey all.  I apologize in advance if this mail is too long for the
list, but I thought it would be more efficient to show you my
configuration in one mail rather than in a lot of unclear separate
mails.  Replies to me instead of the list are fine by me.

So, the problem currently: I am running FreeBSD 2.1.0 with a Cyrix
6x86-166 motherboard.  Before, I was able to connect via PPP, but
didn't have my routing right.  Now, the routing looks happy, but my
PPP connection is not coming up, even though my dialin script is
good.  Any help would be appreciated, as I have been trying to
fix this myself for about a week.  I have read the handbook, and looked
for resources.  (As an aside...anyone know where in the SF bay area
I can buy the Complete FreeBSD book?)

The tun0 device has been configured correctly.  I have rebuilt the
kernel, but only to uncomment the ATAPI and comment the nonexistant
items.  If I start ppp by doing 'ppp -auto slip' it will try to
dial out when I attempt to ping an external system.

When I connect manually, I get dial OK! and login OK! but the
ppp prompt never changes to PPP, and after a minute or so it
hangs up.

My ISP's gateway is 204.160.88.1, and I am assigned a dynamix IP in the
range 206.14.x.x.  The DNS servers are at 204.160.88.10 and .11.
Here are my files:

/etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1			localhost steelhead steelhead.slip.net
204.160.88.10		dns.slip.net # so I can ping it
207.171.208.17		slip.net slip-3

/etc/host.conf:

hosts
bind

/etc/resolv.conf:

domain	slip.net
nameserver	207.171.208.10
nameserver	207.171.208.11

/etc/ppp/ppp.conf:

default:
 set speed 115200
 set device /dev/cuaa1
 disable lqr
 deny lqr
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 50 \"\" ATZ OK ATDT\\T CONNECT"
slip:
 set phone 14153565806
 set login "gin:--gin: xxxxx word: xxxxxxx"
 set timeout 900
 set ifaddr 206.14.1.1/16 204.160.88.1/8
 add 0 0 204.160.88.1

/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup:

MYADDR:
delete 0 0
add 0 0 HISADDR

And relevant portions from /etc/sysconfig:

hostname="steelhead.slip.net"
network_interfaces="tun0 lo0"
ifconfig_tun0="inet 0 204.160.88.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"

(are these ok?)
#static_routes="multicast loopback"
static_routes="loopback"
#route_multicast="224.0.0.0 -netmask 0xf0000000 -interface ${hostname}"
route_loopback="${hostname} localhost"

defaultrouter="204.160.88.1"

(since I only have the route from my ISP, and no constant network, I
don't start routed)
routedflags=NO

(I don't need to set this on, do I?)

gateway=NO

Again, thanks very much for any help.  I held out as long as I could
before bothering you all.

Pete McNab
stillers@slip.net