Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 11:31:11 +0100
From:      "Greg Quinlan" <greg@qmpgmc.ac.uk>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Strange reboot saga III

Who wants a piece of my humble pie? I think I may have found my problem!

Let me start with the history of my strange reboots saga.  Prior to
upgrading from FBSD 2.2.8 I had no problems but then I decided that it was
time too upgrade... to 3.0 yes I know that 3.0 has a reboot exploit now but
not until it was demonstrated by a Linux friend (now converted to FBSD).
Then I upgraded to 3.1-R and yes that fixed the exploit, but strange as it
seems two-three weeks later the machine begins to reboot... at least once a
day sometimes twice, my immediate thought was that someone has found an
exploit! Following the recommendations of freebsd-stable I upgraded once
more to 3.1-S. All seemed fine for around 6 days. Then it started again. A
random reboot. F###

So I started checking everything in the kernels I'd built.

1. Cut out everything that was not necessary.
2. Reduced the number of users to 100 not 256.
3. Changed the xl0 driver.
4. Enabled ddb ... dump on.... and dumpdev etc
5. built a kernel with the -rg options
6. recompiled the latest apache... samba.... sendmail... ssh....etc
7. convinced it was the newly installed xl0 cards order a bunch of fxp0
cards
8. put a fluke network analyser on the local lan to check anything out of
the ordinary.
9. change the ram
10. then the cam driver.

In frustration after someone said it must be a hardware problem ... I asked
a friend ****objectively****
What do you think might cause this type of problem....
He said "typically if the machine first slows ...then freezes... and
spontaneously reboots it must be the CPU fan"
Impossible!!!!! I checked that ages ago!

Well ..... No!

After the last reboot I opened it up while it was on... and to my horror the
CPU fan was not running!!

WTF!!!! I checked that back when I was running 3.0 after finding out about
the reboot exploit.

Now that I have got a working CPU fan on my PII 333 (fingers crossed) I will
be stable,
psychologically aswell :)

Thanks for everyone's help thus far.

Greg