Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:22:37 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to change link speed/duplex on a 3Com 3CCFE574BT ?

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <39A461BA.B8E3E3AC@lucent.com> "Gary T. Corcoran" writes:
> : I managed to get my 3Com 3CCFE574BT 10/100 ethernet PC-Card going on
> : FreeBSD 4.1 when connected to a 100Mb hub, but I still have one problem.
> : I sometimes need to connect to a 10Mb network, and then the card doesn't
> : work.  No green light, no connectivity.  How does one change the link
> : speed and/or duplex settings for this card?  I tried using the 'media'
> : argument to ifconfig, but every keyword after 'media' seems to be rejected,
> : as if 'media' is not supported for this card.  I then tried using the older
> : 'link' flags, 0, 1 and 2, and all eight combinations didn't seem to make
> : any difference.   So what's the magic incantation?   ;-)
>
> ifconfig ep0 media 10baseT/UTP
>
> should do the trick.  At least it does for the rl driver here at
> work.

Thanks for the reply Warner.  Unfortunately, that was one of the things I
had tried (but I tried it again :).  Giving the above ifconfig command just
results in:

ifconfig: SIOCGIFMEDIA: Invalid argument

I also noted that when just doing an 'ifconfig ep0' to see the status,
it does NOT list supported media types the way other cards, which support
the media argument, do.  Thus I'm guessing that the driver for the '574
just doesn't support 'media'.  So am I just out of luck with this card
(on 10Mb networks)?  Anyone else have any experience with this 3com card?

Gary