Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 19:36:47 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   pppd (getty) problem

I posted here in the past about some problem I had with ppp and
dialing in from non Win95/non FreeBSD, that is, Linux systems.

Linux ist using pppd on the peer side as well at least in the mode
my students were using it (ppp-on script).

My Win95 and FreeBSD users had no problems dialing in but Linux
was a nogo for weeks now. Today I took a major effort to track that down
and found out that the linux side as it was set up didn't get
the FreeBSD server side into the ppp section of getty, that meant,
the pppd state machine in getty didn't fire.

I changed the respective logins such that they got ppplogin.sh
immediately as their login shell and that seemed to work (rather than
giving them a non-existent /pppok and letting getty do the execle'ing
og /usr/local/bin/ppplogin.sh

At least the ppp connection now seems to work, I'm still fiddling
with the DNS and gateway information to be passed correctly.

I wonder though what exactly the problem is or how I can make the linux
side to send the ppp control characters immediately after login
so that getty becomes aware of them.