Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 10:12:52 -0400
From:      Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Adam Shostack <adam@breakwater.homeport.org>, nr1@ihug.co.nz, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure backup

On Mon, May 17, 1999 at 11:09:09PM +0930, Kris Kennaway wrote:
| On Mon, 17 May 1999, Adam Shostack wrote:
|
| > If the tape is unreliable, and you lose a few bits of a plaintext
| > file, you've lost a few bits.  If its a few bits of an encrypted and
| > compressed file, you may lose the whole file.
|
| Yes, but the question is whether tapes do this at all. The normal use of a
| backup tape (preserving a perfect copy of everything you send to it) is ruined
| if tapes are dropping bits - I don't think you'd see this unless
| your hardware was bad, in which case any relatively lightweight
| encoding method is likely to be in trouble too.

The other way this can happen is over extended (5-10 years) time
periods; if you're planning to have your backups have a shelf life of
N years, you may want to worry about tape degridation.

| The best you could do to guard against this would be to either run your
| encrypted data stream through an error-correcting code filter (I
| don't know of
| any tools which can do this, but it's not hard to write), or break up your
| input into blocks and encrypt them separately (or use the DES ECB mode).

There are better ways to get error recovery than ECB mode ciphers; CBC
will recover from errors with a few blocks of lossage.  My concern
would be if you lose bits in the message headers, your ability to
decrypt may disappear entirely.

Adam

					               -Hume