Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 09:13:04 -0400
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su, x.org!kaleb@dg-rtp.dg.com
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

> Historycally ctype(>127) returns 0 in many systems that I see,

Well, being intimately involved with 'C' compilers and libraries
on the mainframe (where EBCDIC, not ASCII rules the day) - I can
tell you this is a problem... since the valid EBCDIC characters
are negative if you have signed chars!  Many valid EBCDIC characters
have the high-bit set, making them much larger than 127.  [I don't
know how many customers pass negative values to ctype..]  Fortunately,
on those machines, 'char' is unsigned, but people still make mistakes
with "portable" code.

Also, we see a lot of people doing things like:

	if(ch < 127) {
		printf("%c\n", ch);
	}

which doesn't work too well on an EBCDIC box.

	- Just to jump in from the other side of the world -

		- Dave Rivers -